Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Carter Turns 1


Carter's birthday was on October 21st. I cannot believe that my baby is one already! He's at the perfect age right now though, and we are enjoying every minute of this little guy. We did an Elmo party for him (something I swore I would NEVER do for my kids...I always thought character parties were dumb)...the things we do for the ones we love! We celebrated a few days after his birthday so that the family could all be together...we're so lucky to have such support!





Thank goodness for Little Ceasars. The kids always devour it!

My parents are always so willing to share their space. We had the party at their home. Love them.

Carter didn't understand that it was his birthday at all, so we shared the fun and let the cousins help open the gift. They had fun showing him his new toys and he was happy to get piled with new cars, trains, clothes, books, doggies, and even a REAL Dorothy (what was I thinking?) with little effort.
The morning of Carter's party my Mom called to ask what her assignment needed to be. I could've used help with just about anything so I let her pick and she said she'd make the cakes! What?! I'd take her amazing cake-decorating skill over mine all day, so of course I said yes! She made a cute Elmo head for the guests and a little Dorothy cake (Elmo's pet goldfish). Thanks MOM!! Everyone looks forward to watching the one-year olds destroy their cakes, and Carter didn't disappoint. He was thrilled to have hit the chocolate jack pot.




Something my boys both love...a sink bath from Grandma. And Carter needed one after the chocolate cake. He was so exhausted after such a big day!


Some things about Carter:

-He started walking at 11 months. He just had to keep up with (and fight back with) Lincoln.

-He has 4 teeth on the top and 4 on the bottom. He hated baby food from day one, so we just started giving him what we were eating. He was still slow to pick it up, but nothing phases him now. He loves any and all food. And I'm not complaining.

-He tells me when he wants to go to sleep. Who knew a kid could do that?! He gets his blanket and tells me, "Nah nigh". So sweet. He goes to sleep on his own too...never thought I'd see a child do that either. He takes 2 2 hour naps each day. He still doesn't sleep through the night though. Lincoln didn't until 22 months, so I'm thinking I have a good 9 months.

-He says "mama", "dada", "uh oh" and "mmmm" and "what's dat?" . We say hi to a picture of Jesus everytime we come down our stairs and one day he repeatedly said, "Dedus, dedus..." So precious. But he hasn't said it yet.

-He loves anyone to hide from him and then chase after him on their hands and knees. It creates lots of noise with the banging on the floor and the screaming/laughing baby, but we do it all day and night. Sorry neighbors!

-He's a Mama's boy, especially when he's tired, hungry, or sad. But, he gets so excited to see Daddy every night. Derek has a special father/son bond with each of the boys, and I'm so grateful for that.

-He's learning to be a stinker already. He pushes Lincoln, or hits him on top of the head. Hmmmm...I wonder who he learns it from? But, I hear Lincoln saying all day, "NO pushing Carter!!"

-He loves cars, balls, books, and bathtime.

-He still nurses. Not a lot, and not very long. I thought I was going to wean early, but when it came down to it, I've had a hard time. He's the baby and I'm in no real rush to stop.

-He's such a joy to us. Derek and I are dorks. We sit around all night staring at our kids, and talking about how they're are easily the cutest on the planet. Come on...you all do that too! But Carter is adorable and he makes us smile all day. Love you Carter Bug!

No comments: